The holidays are always my favorite time of year. Joyful truly does describe it. There are so many things that I love about the holidays that I thought for today's 10 Things on the 10th I'd list my absolute favorites!
1. Christmas Tree Decorating. I may or may not be a semi-professional amateur Christmas Tree decorator. I absolutely love it. The different themes, colors, textures. So many ideas. So many beautiful things.
2. White Christmas. As in the the 1954 movie with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, and Vera-Ellen. It just isn't Christmas without watching this movie at least five times! I'm not joking. I watch it alot!! lol
3. Snuggle Weather. When the temperatures drop to the point that it's biting and bone chilling, those are the best times to sit in front of a fire, cuddle up with the babes, or even better, snuggle up with your favorite person and a cozy warm blanket.
4. Leggings, Scarves, Beanies and Fuzzy Boots. Yeah, pretty much the uniform of the season. With the cold temperatures (even for Arizona) this is the most effortless and most fashion savvy outfit that I wear. That most people wear this time of year. Better to have too many layers than not enough, right! And can I just note, I am in love Love LOVE with furry fuzzy boots. I bought myself my very first pair, and I swear they rarely leave my feet. I would sleep in them if I could. lol
5. The Gift of Giving. I love Love LOVE giving gifts. Far better than receiving them. I like to hunt for that perfect gift, get it wrapped up and watch and the recipient opens up their hand-picked gift. The light and joy that fills their face truly warms my heart.
6. Speaking of Gifts... the Ultimate Gift. How can I talk about my favorite time of year without mentioning the Reason for the Season! Our God loves us SOO Much that he sent his only son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for my sins. I can't even begin to describe that kind of love. I love reading the story of Christ's birth. I love seeing the Nativity sets all about. I love when the babes get excited about Jesus' birth. It's his party but we get the presents. lol
7. Speaking of Presents... Gift Wrap and Ribbons and Bows. Of course, I love to wrap gifts in coordinating colors and pretty ribbons and bows. I love embellishing and personalizing gifts. Making them too pretty to open ... nah, who am I kidding. lol.
8. What is Christmas without the Music. I'm one of those people who could listen to Christmas music all year long. Truly. It lifts my spirits, and I can never get enough of hearing Frank Sinatra, or The Carpenters, or Burl Ives. Don't ask me to pick a favorite because I just can't. There are too many songs that I love for different reasons, and they are all so very special to me.
9. Christmas Cookie Monster. Tis true, at Christmas time I become a serious cookie monster. I try and make all the same cookies I've been making my entire life; Peanut Butter Blossoms, M&M Cookies, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Candy Cane Cookies, Sugar Cookies, Magic Bars, Snickerdoodles. While most years I don't have the time to make every cookie, I have added others to my favorites list, like French Macaroons, and Chocolate Mice.
10. Christmas Morning. The most specialist time of the year. We wake up with our own little families, and see what Santa has left for the kids. We go through our stockings that Santa overflows every year. The dog goes absolutely bonkers when his stocking is filled. He knows his buddy, Santa has been to the house (Santa brought Gunner to us 8 Christmases ago). We open up the gifts we've given each other. Then we head over to Mom and Dads (even though Dad is gone, I still call it Mom and Dads, especially at Christmas time, because I know he is there with us). We do as we have done my entire life, and watch the kids open up their gifts left from Santa, go through stockings, and then take turns opening our gifts from each other. Pure joy! I can't wait for the morning of December 25, 2013!!